Monday, June 23, 2008

That's Your Job

The schedule is in constant flux. You never quite know when it is that you are working. It is not possible to know a week ahead of time. Nobody knows anything.

Nobody knows anything.

This is a philosophy I have come to accept both as a curse and a blessing. It is a product of bureaucracy - a system equally as twisted and confusing as the spelling of the word itself. Try pronouncing that word phonetically. It fucking says it all. It encapsulates, perfectly, the suffering and pain of confusion in the face of accountability. However, the guise of "nobody knows anything" allows one, at least temporarily, to escape the wrath of accountability.

The best way to do this is assure the boss everything is going ok. And it is; unless you draw unnecessary attention to the situation. Somebody is going to suffer. Work is painful. The goal, however, is to pass it off onto the person above you - in the same sick and callous way that they pass "it" off onto you.

Explain this to me: when I run into a road-block, and my ask my boss for help.... how is it that I am always the one responsible for the road-block? "You should talk to your co-workers and figure it out. You NEED to communicate!" To be frank, that is asking too much. We don't work the same shifts. There is nobody above us or bellow us that knows what the fuck is going on in its entirety. Each shift is it's own microcosm of "shit to deal with." Ultimately, if one looks closely at the situation - it becomes clear that there is a much needed position that has yet to be filled. Somebody in fucking charge.

For instance; if somebody needs to have their vehicle validated for an event we are putting on, and I wasn't scheduled, or emailed, or briefed regarding the process of an inter-department-in- nature vehicle validation operation: HOW THE FUCK AM I SUPPOSED TO KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT IT?! Should I just go out of my way trying to investigate every little nuance of our entire multi-faceted operation? Fuck no. Not with my pay. That's the job of "The Boss."

I have no idea what my boss does besides serve as a medium between "what needs to get done" and "who's getting it done." The problem is: she keeps asking us "what needs to be done?"

BULLSHIT - that's YOUR job.

No comments: